Monday, December 27, 2010

Unconditional

A very dear friend of mine requested that this be updated in light of recent events. I don't even know where to start. I'm in the process of learning a very important lesson. It relates to human unconditional love. I firmly believe that somewhere out in the big world there are people who still know how to love unconditionally. For some reason, I have not met these people at the right time in my life as of yet. However, while my faith in it may be blurred right now, my hope and prayer for it manifested in my life does still exist.
I recently dated a guy who I met here in Oklahoma, but who ended up being moved by Uncle Sam to Colorado. Things started off perfectly as they always do, and slowly we began having our ups and downs. The ups were great, but the downs got to us. He eventually decided that he couldn't handle the stress of long distance relationship coupled with the possibility of a deployment. He broke up with me.
I heard from him only a couple of times in the months that followed. Three in all. And then one day out of the blue, he called me. We began talking again and he promised that he still loved me and that he always would. I took the bait-hook, line, and sinker. Within a few weeks, he was planning a future with me. We even entered what most would call an engagement. Until about a week ago, life was great. Then he started not calling, or not answering his phone. I prepared myself for the worst, but he tried to assure me that everything was great with us. I finally managed to work up the courage to ask him if he was cheating on me. He didn't give us the chance to discuss it, but instead chose to ignore me for about a day and a half (which if you know me is like a millenium because I'm the most impatient person on the planet). Ignored my phone calls, texts, and facebook messages. I know I pushed too hard for an answer-that was my mistake. I took full responsibility for the argument. I apologized. However, when he finally did respond, he decided that he would rather not try to work past our squabble and live without me than to continue to love me. He claims that he fell out of love with me within the 24 hours that we didn't talk. Not only that, but he broke up with me in a text message without giving me a chance to even talk. That's not love, and it really makes me wonder if he ever loved me.
As I look back, I realize how much of the relationship was centered around him. I have worn myself thin the past few weeks trying to please him, and be the perfect girlfriend. Fearing that if I didn't measure up to his standards he would leave me behind. And most of the time I didn't measure up. I worried about his safety too much or wanted to talk to him more than once a day, etc. I failed to realize how much I was compromising by being with him. Even though I truly loved him, and I still do, it was not a healthy relationship.  He loved me only when things were perfect between us. He didn't choose to share our lives. I was like the perfect set of rims on a new tire. Just an accessory. And when my shine started to fade-it was time to trade me in for the newer model.
As much as I looked forward to my life with him, I only pray that this was God's way of saving me from what I couldn't see myself. I'm hurt and I'm disappointed, but if I stop and reflect I know it's eventually for the better. Someday someone is going to look past my faults and see the loving heart that's here. I have bad days sometimes like everyone, but instead of judging me and ignoring me this man will tell me everything's gonna be ok. There will be problems, but over time we will grow stronger through the problems we CHOOSE to work through TOGETHER. It won't happen everytime, but the solution to those that we do work through together will be so much better than those we work out on our own.
True love is unconditional. It accepts you for who you are, but encourages you to be the most you can be. It is not selfish or proud. And that's a piece of Biblical truth right there so you know it's good stuff.

No comments: